Jamaican rock iguana

female jamaican iguana
The Jamaican rock iguana (Cyclura Collei) is an endangered species of lizard from the iguanadae family. They can only be found in the hellshire hills outside of Kingston, Jamaica. They have been in decline since the introduction of the Indian mongoose. The Jamaican rock iguana used to be common but in 1996 they became critically endangered. They are usually only seen in the area’s that are protected from the Indian mongoose. In 1990 there was believed to only be 100 iguanas left. In 2006 the US captive population doubled. There is believed to be about 200 left. They have also been in decline since the human population increased. The iguanas the largest speices of the genus Cyclura in jamaica. Between 1948 and 1990 they were believed to be extinct. In the 1940’s the whole population on goat island became extinct. They were pretty much thought to be extinct until a carcass was found in the hellshire hills in 1970. Fortunately, the numbers of iguana seem to be increasing. I chose this issue because I love lizards and I think poaching is a huge problem. Unfortunatly, poaching is still happening all over the world, even though it is ilegal. The jamaican rock iguana is just one example of this dreadful crime.